Saturday, November 16, 2013

The journey to Nursing school so far.

For the past year I have been knocking out various prerequisite courses so that I can apply to a nursing program. If you are not familiar with the process of getting into nursing school I will not bore you with all the details right here, but feel free to contact me if you're looking for some wisdom on all the options. I have chosen to pursue a BSN (bachelors of science in nursing). I chose this route because I had a few semesters of miscellaneous college credit and applying towards a bachelors makes the most sense at this point.

I considered applying to some out of state universities, but came to the conclusion that an in state school makes the most sense financially and for my family. I live in Colorado and there are a number of excellent schools here including Regis, UNC, CU Denver and others. After extensive research looking into prerequisite classes and other aspects of the many nursing programs, I decided to focus on UNC and CU Denver. 

Over the past year and a half I have been taking my remaining prerequisite courses at Front Range Community College in Longmont. I have taken A&P I and II, microbiology, pathophysiology, nutrition, stats, human growth and development and intro to soc. all at Front Range. I did my various other prerequisite classes at a few different universities a while back. 

Sooo, here I am at the critical time of applying to schools. I applied to CU Denver (UCD) about 2 months ago and will apply to UNC in a few weeks. Both schools are competitive entry as opposed to wait list entry programs. Seems like the wait list is a  thing of the past. UNC bases admission strictly on GPA. They have something like 70 spots per year, so the top 70 GPAs are accepted and that's that. UNC looks like a great program and I would be excited to go there, but UCD is my top choice.

This brings me back to UCD. They look at GPA, a personal essay and an interview to make their decision on admission. I hope this post isn't too long... Oh well. So As I said, I applied a few months back and have been eagerly waiting to see what happens. 

No comments:

Post a Comment